Thursday, December 1, 2011

"I COUDN'T HELP BUT FALL IN LOVE AGAIN"



A few people know that I'm pretty obsessed with Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. The movie starring Jim Carey and Kate Winslet takes on a couple of situations that have always touched me. But it's the effect of the whole movie that really just leaves me in a profoud overthinking mode where I'm typically amazed at how life works on us without us having much to do with it.

As the movie starts there's such feeling of loneliness and uncertainty, and then you realize that it's a small world and somehow it all works out regardless of time constrains or physical distance. And I always end up identifying with Joel (Jim Carey) and his journey to forgetting someone that eats at his core. If the possibility of erasing parts of the memory would be possible, I still don't think I'd do it. What would you learn from that? Of course the idea of working with a clean slate is tempting, but not sure if it'd be worthy.

Needless to say when I saw this illustration on Etsy by Nan Lawson, I went crazy for it, and I bought it. So I'm waiting for the 8" x 10" envelope of goodness to arrive. Can't wait!


PS The title is from the wonderful song by She & Him called "I thought I saw your face today" which recurrently plays on my playlists. I would have loved to find a decent video with Zooey Deschanel, but they're all shaky and you can hardly hear the lyrics, so I went for the one with good music and lyrics instead.